Past Projects - 2003
- Led the development of the
& Recreation Plan. This was our major project in 2003 and it continues
The effort included a townwide survey,
three large public meetings to present findings
and/or elicit ideas from the community, as well as many working sessions by
subcommittees. To all the volunteers, Town employees, and officials who have
helped with this project, thank you!
- Sponsored three public walks:
- A vernal pool workshop led by biologist Michele Grzenda
- A nature-oriented scavenger hunt led by A.H.S. teacher Chris Scott
- An archeological walk led by Dr. Curtiss Hoffman
- Cleaned and maintained key parts of the trail system, with
help from several resident volunteers.
- Hosted a table at Ashland Day and distributed trail maps
- Launched this Web site
Archeological walk led by Dr.
Custom roofs over Town Forest signs
Past Projects - 2002
- Sponsored well-attended public walks led
by Ashland residents:
- Archeological features along the Bay Circuit Trail
- Autumn foliage in the Ashland Town Forest
- Enhanced the Ashland Town Forest signs on Winter Street and Oregon Road
by installing custom roofs.
- Completed a report that inventories land parcels 5 acres or larger, and
ranks them according to their suitability as future open space.
- Assisted Bay Circuit Alliance with State House lobbying efforts to close
gaps in Bay Circuit Trail.
- Formed a Stream Team to survey a Waushakum Pond tributary.
- Worked to maintain local funding of the Community Preservation Act (CPA)
and to raise local awareness of the CPA, via an informational
brochure and an Ashland Directions article
The committee's Annual Reports from 2002
and 2003 also describe projects.
Past Projects - Prior Years
In prior years,
the Ashland Open Space Committee was just as active. The committee
- Blazed the Ashland portion of the Bay Circuit Trail, including building a footbridge
along the trail (west of Route 126).
- Maintained the entire Ashland trail system, often with help from local
- Installed kiosks and trail markers in the Town Forest and along the Ashland
portion of the Bay Circuit Trail.
- Mapped the Town Forest, along with the Ashland Town Forest Committee and
Sudbury Valley Trustees.
- Worked with the Town to acquire Mill Pond Park and the River Walk.
- Oversaw remediation efforts in the Town Forest after water pipe installation.
- Provided local projects to Boy Scouts earning Eagle badges.
- Sponsored a series of public hikes on Ashland trails.
- Worked with neighboring towns on issues relating to the Bay Circuit Trail.
- Led Bay Circuit Trek through Ashland in 2000.